In today’s world, we’re overrun with toxic chemicals and poisons in our every day lives which cause our bodies to constantly fight inflammation. However, there are plenty of things we can do in our daily lives to combat inflammation, including the ways we eat, such as with the Anti-Inflammatory Diet. Our in-house nutritionist Yvonne Nienstadt gives us some tips on what to avoid and also how to cure inflammation.
First, let’s look at what causes inflammation in our bodies and what to avoid:
- Genetically Modified Foods, otherwise known as GMOs, such as corn, soy, cottonseed and canola have been known to cause tumors in lab rats. To avoid GMOs, always buy organic.
- Vitamin D deficiency can cause inflammation, which is basically a negative response of the immune system and increases cancer risk.
- Environmental factors like toxins, smoke and smog.
- Eating late at night, which causes our digestive system to work harder when it should be resting.
- Sleepless nights and not getting enough rest.
- Excess sodium, which causes excess fluid around the cells.
- Inadequate hydration, which causes our immune system to not function optimally.
- Not enough exercise, thus not enough oxygen getting to our cells.
- Over-exercising can also cause inflammation as well as oxidative stress.
Cures for Inflammation:
- Eating real food and not processed food. Lots of vegetables, fruits, cold pressed oils, grains, legumes, nuts and seeds.
- Calorie restriction by reducing your daily caloric intake 10-30% (talk to your doctor first).
- Take a break from eating by juice fasting for one to two days a week.
- Add probiotics to your diet in supplement form.
- Get plenty of fiber by eating veggies, beans, nuts and seeds.
- Get enough rest.
- Reduce or eliminate added sugars and refined carbs.
- Stay away from food additives and preservatives.
- Reduce sodium.
Try to use these tips in your daily life to reduce inflammation and avoid common preventable diseases like cancer, cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Your body will thank you!